Making New Year’s Resolutions is a ritual that’s hard to shake.
It doesn’t matter how many times we read the statistics that claim that most resolutions fall by the wayside before the end of January.
Just the way Thanksgiving inspires us to focus on gratitude, the new year inspires us to imagine all the improvements we’re going to make in both our personal and professional lives. Our resolutions.
Resolutions often consist of a short list of the things you think you really should do. Expressed in the most general terms, often without specifics.
Lose weight is often at the top of the resolution list. Especially if holiday season overeating and over drinking as packed on a few more pounds.
Well, let’s challenge that tradition and take an approach you’ve probably never considered before.
Let’s prepare for the new year instead by asking yourself this all important question: “How do I want to feel in 2021?”
Now that’s a question worth pondering. How do you want to feel in 2021?
Once you’ve created a list of feelings, you can dive into customizing thoughts which generate those feelings.
Let’s try this together so you can see the approach in action.
Create a list of the top 5 feelings you’d like to feel consistently in 2021.
You can list any number of feelings. Pick one, pick 20, but be prepared to identify thoughts that generate each feeling.
For the sake of this exercise, here are my 5 examples, in no particular order.
Identify thoughts that stimulate those feelings.
Here are some of mine. Create your own or feel free to borrow from mine. Just make sure that the “voice” sounds like you. You can test this by saying your thoughts out loud. Be prepared to practice the most effective thoughts on the regular.
- Inspired: I help people transform their lives. Awareness and intention amplify my power to create the life I want.
- Compassionate: I’m all in on feeling the full range of human emotions even though it can be really hard. The road to success is paved with failures. Sometimes things just suck and that’s okay. Trying my best can still include mistakes both large and small.
- Unstoppable: Everything is figure-out-able. Just keep going, no matter what. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. Understanding how my brain was wired by Mother Nature gives me the power to manage my mind. Eat the frogs first.
- Loving: What would love do? Loving action is never wrong. When I love, I feel so good.
- Curious: Why? What else? Let’s figure this out. How can I _____ (fill in the blank)? How can I make this fun? Who’s the best resource? How would I google this to start finding answers? How can I make myself unstoppable?
Feelings drive actions which create results.
Whatever goals you’ve imagined you’d like to achieve in 2021, a potent combination of thoughts and feelings build the foundation of success.
What your mind focuses on you create more of. Both positive and negative. It’s a double-edged sword.
Your thoughts and feelings work in unison to motivate your actions.
Construct a helpful matrix of thoughts and feelings to propel you toward your goal.
As you think about the results you’d like to create in 2021, define them with specifics.
When you’ve identified anything you want to achieve, it’s important to be as specific as possible so you know, unequivocally, if you’ve reached your goal.
Make your results measurable.
If your goal is a money goal, give it a number and a date by which you would have earned or received it. Same goes for weight loss. Pick a number and a date by which you will have achieved it. If you want to change jobs or land a new one, identify an industry, a job title, a salary amount. Pick a date by which it will be done.
What you think and feel about your goals is the fuel in the tank that will get you there.
Program your mental GPS before you start your journey to ensure best results.
Get 2021 off to a rip-roaring start.
Let’s take some time now to program that GPS of yours with the feelings and accompanying thoughts you’ll need to reach your destination. Once you PLAN how you want to feel and think, go forth and tackle your goals. Align them.
Coaching is the best way I know to accomplish this alignment. Become a master at creating the exact feeling you need to accomplish any your goal you can imagine for yourself.
Feel your way to success!
You can find me right here to schedule a Strategy call so we can see what’s possible for you in 2021.
WISHING YOU AND ALL YOUR LOVED ONES A HAPPY, HEALTHY NEW YEAR!
Please share this post with anyone you think would like to read this message.