It’s time to start the process of choosing your Word of the Year for 2020.
Think of your word as the beacon in your lighthouse guiding you home. No matter how rough the seas or stormy the weather in your life, it will remind you of your intentions and sharpen your focus.
Whenever you’re overthinking or over-reacting, your special word will cut through all the noise and help you make decisions with greater confidence and clarity.
Choose that one special word that will become your touchstone for the year ahead.
It will become your go-to word. With all its many nuances and shades of meaning, it will illuminate a path forward.
This one word can help you remember what’s important whenever you find yourself in a quandary.
It can help you interrupt your tendency to lean into indulgent emotions like overwhelm, indecision, worry and procrastination.
Follow these easy steps to choose your Word of the Year for 2020.
Step 1: Set an intention that you will find your word.
- Ask yourself how you want to feel on a more frequent basis or the way you would like to approach your choices and decisions in the coming year.
- Start thinking thoughts that generate feelings of excitement and curiosity about what your word will be.
- Decide in advance that finding your word will be a fun adventure.
- Ask your brain to come to up with more than one option.
- Allow your brain time to percolate on the assignment.
Step 2: Explore your options.
- Make a list of as many words that feel like options, five, ten, twenty. There’s no right number to consider.
- Reflect on the words that may be your top contenders.
- Think about all the many ways the word could give deeper meaning and guidance when applied to your relationship with yourself, your family and friends, and your professional life.
- Try each option on for size. Marinate in the feelings it generates.
- Is there a word you keep coming back to? Decide which word continues to generate the most resonance.
- If you think it would be helpful, check in with someone whose opinions you value.
Choose your word.
- When one word seems to be surfacing again and again, drawing in you, generating excitement, you’ve got a winner.
- Once you’ve chosen your word, commit to it.
- Don’t worry about making the wrong choice. There’s no such thing.
Embrace your word.
- Let your word heighten your awareness of how you are approaching your life.
- Meditate on it. Consider how it can impact your decision-making process.
- Enjoy seeing how your word can apply to various aspects of your life throughout the year.
- Celebrate your word as the bright beacon in your lighthouse, guiding you home to what you truly value.
Want to know my Word of the Year for 2020?
After careful consideration of my top contenders, I chose (drum roll please): SIMPLIFY.
Whenever I’m tempted to add more to my plate, I want to address the urge with this reminder.
It will guide me to concentrate on the essentials in any decision or project.
I intend to cultivate a deep sense of purpose, focus and follow through on all the essentials, in my relationships, my professional life and in my future planning.
I intend to simplify, as in cut to the essence, in all areas of my life in 2020.
This is the new thought I’m practicing as I think about my word: When I simplify, everything becomes easier and more fun.
What’s your Word of the Year for 2020?
What is the thought you’d like to think about it?
Sometimes you need much more than a word to make the changes you really want in your life.
Prepare now to start the New Year with an intentional strategy to make 2020 the best year yet in your marriage or stepfamily relationships.
Let me know you’re ready for your FREE Relationship Strategy Call right here.