One of the most amazing things about the human brain is that it doesn’t know “reality” from the thoughts, feelings and images you’re able to create with your vivid imagination.
It believes either, depending on how deeply you focus on certain thoughts, beliefs, ideas, values and judgements.
Since it’s irrelevant to your brain whether what you’re thinking and feeling is based on actual circumstances or on your amazing imagination, feed your brain thoughts that reflect what you WANT to believe, feel and achieve.
This is mind blowing news!
We have the freedom to create whatever thoughts, feelings, actions and results we want determined solely by what we create in our imaginations. And, nothing is stopping us. We can start today!
This is a legit SUPER POWER.
Please don’t let it go to waste. Use it to your advantage, no matter what your current circumstances.
Your brain’s default wiring relies on past experiences to operate most efficiently.
You may remember from previous posts that your brain’s natural inclinations are determined by the Motivational Triad:
- Seek pleasure
- Avoid pain
- Conserve energy
This means that by default, your brain automatically relies on past experiences to create your life today. That is unless you give it different instructions.
This means that all your past habits of thought, feeling and action are easiest for your brain to replicate.
They’re either habitual or your brain’s best guess from past experience. It’s so much easier for your brain to lean on the past and let history repeat itself.
When it comes to weight loss, this is not a game plan that brings results.
Successful weight loss requires shaking up the status quo.
Weight loss requires doing things you’ve never done before. In a way you’ve never done things before.
This requires that you develop a mindset you’ve never depended upon before.
For best results, you’ll need to engage that vivid imagination of yours and direct it toward imagining the future you.
To make weight loss easier, imagine yourself as the person who already has the result you want.
What is she thinking, feeling and doing?
Ask that amazing woman how she would advise you today.
Then it’s your work to become that woman today. I can show you how to live into that vision.
The best way to predict your future is to pay attention to where you’re headed today.
Every action you take today leads you in some direction. Regardless of whether or not it aligns with your intentions.
Let’s look more closely at the elements of your direction. They are the daily actions you choose to take now:
- How you’re spending your time today
- How you’re filling your calendar
- What you’re eating
- Whether you’re exercising
- How you’re spending or saving your money
- How you’re choosing to socialize
- What you’re working on, both professionally and personally
- How you’re giving back to your community
When you arrive somewhere you didn’t expect or want to be, all is not lost.
You can course correct. Think about these questions and answer them for yourself.
Do your answers align with your intentions?
Intentions require specific plans for the future to keep you on course.
Intentions determine the route you plot on the road map you’ll follow to reach your desired destination,, your goal.
Your intentions are informed and supported by your awareness of what you want your future to look like.
Imagine future you in vivid detail.
Shifting your imagination into gear is like adding jet propulsion fuel to your mental engine.
Brainstorm what future you looks like in all her glory.
- Think about her hair, her clothes, her figure.
- How does she spend her time?
- What are her habits?
- How she thinks, feels and acts.
- What results has she created in her life?
- Where does she live?
- Who is she with and who does she surround herself with?
- What are her thoughts about her relationship with food, her body and her weight?
The more vivid your imagination, the more detailed the picture, the better. See future you moving through her world.
Don’t hold back. Design a fabulous vision.
Write a letter from your future self.
One of the most effective tools for imagining your future self is to write a letter from her to you of today.
This letter will activate her presence in your life. Visions of your future self living out and realizing your intentions will help you make change and propel you forward.
Let’s focus this letter on enjoying peace and freedom around food, your body and your weight.
Grab your journal or a blank sheet of paper and pen.
- Date the top.
- Pick a specific date 3-5 years years from today so you will have gained real perspective on your journey.
- Imagine that you have reached all the goals you set out to accomplish and have maintained your preferred weight for several years.
- What advice would future you give present you to build her confidence that it’s as good as done?
- Now write that advice from future you to current you to describe important aspects of your life in the present tense.
- What thoughts do you think now?
- What limiting thoughts did you let go of?
- How do you feel?
- What behaviors do you do consistently that susrauin your success?
- What are the keys to success that you’ve realized in retrospect. Clue current you into the magic!
- Are there other achievements you’ve realized beyond weight loss?
- Keep in mind that if you wanted to be 50 pounds lighter, future you is not worrying about those 50 pounds any more. Future you is not worrying about what to order at the restaurant, the drive thru, for take-out or from the buffet.
- Consider what would be the most useful advice and encouragement future you would have for you today?
The goal of future you sharing your wisdom is for the you of today to live into the vision of the woman you’ve imagined becoming.
Something fun you could do now to set your intentions.
Here’s another twist on the idea of writing a letter to yourself from future you.
Go to this website for the opportunity to write a letter to future you explaining your intentions.
On the future date you choose, they will email back to you the letter you wrote to your future self today.
Wouldn’t it be fascinating to look back at your intentions and see how close you came to realizing them?
Joe Dispenza explains the science of why this is a powerful tool.
Joe Dispenza, D.C., is one of my heros.
He’s the best-selling author of Evolve Your Brain: The Science of Changing Your Mind (2007) and Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One (2012), both of which detail the neuroscience of change and epigenetics.
If you want to better understand the science behind why this tool can be so effective, check out this YouTube interview with Dr. Joe Dispenza.
To learn more about him, begin here.
Imagining the future you is another tool to make weight loss easier.
I designed the It’s Never Too Late Weight Loss Coaching program to help you learn a variety of tools to make weight loss easier. This is one of my favorites.
When you can see your actions align with your intentions, it’s so much easier to stay the course, no matter what the endeavor.
Take me up on the FREE Strategy Call I offer.
Find out how you can envision your future self and live into her strengths today.
Schedule your FREE Strategy Call right here.
I’m looking forward to meeting you soon.
It’s Never too Late to make your weight loss journey easier.